First of all, the term 'HERS' stands for 'Home Energy Rating Systems' and a certified HERS Rater is a residential energy efficiency professional that understands building science, heating & cooling equipment, residential building construction, clean energy systems, ventilation & filtration and much more. A Rating Field Inspector or 'RFI' performs the energy tests and inspections required for a residential energy rating on behalf of their affiliated certified HERS Rater. An energy auditor also tests and inspects residences for energy efficiency but has limitations that raters do not have.
Here are Some Example Programs Authorized for Certified HERS Raters but not for Energy Auditors:
- Approve Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Tax Credits and Incentives;
- Provide testing and verification services for energy code compliance inspections;
- Approve and certify residences under national energy efficiency programs;
- Approve and certify residences under national green/sustainable programs;
- Qualify homes to receive benefits through lucrative energy mortgage programs: (See video below)